AFL - Australian Rules Football! - Fantasy Cafe 2014
Fantasy Cafe

Return to Other Fantasy Sports

AFL - Australian Rules Football!

Moderators: Baseball Moderators, Basketball Moderators, Football Moderators, Hockey Moderators

AFL - Australian Rules Football!

Postby aussiewing » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:01 am

Massive fan of ice-hockey a group of about 6 of us fell in love with NHL after discovering it on xbox! Now we each have our own teams and fantasy league's and can't get enough of it... if only they'd play an exhibition match here! We've even planned a trip to Canada next year to watch a game a habs canucks game we love it so much!

Our national sport is AFL, awesome game also. We play using an oval shaped ball. The aim is to basically kick goals... passing the ball by either hand or foot, and you can mark the ball if passed by foot. You're allowed to dispose the person of the ball by either tackling them or what we call a hip-and-shoulder (think of it as a forecheck using the side of your body to the side of theirs!). There's a bit more to it but that's the basics. Here's some pics, or check out http://www.afl.com.au

Image[/img]
aussiewing
College Coach

Cafe Ranker
Points this season: 0
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:07 am

Glad to head you like hockey ;-D

Isn't AFL rugby or something along the same lines?? You should come to Toronto with your buddies, thats where the parties are happening :-b
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:15 am

That sounds like rugby to me. :-?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby aussiewing » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 am

it's nothing like rugby. the 'arenas' are oval shape, some players such as the on-ballers run over 30km in a game. there are basically 1 on 1 matchups all over the ground. difficult to explain unless you watch a game, but it does however SHIT on rugby!

we have mates from vancouver that we met last year, so i think that's we're we'll be most of the time!
aussiewing
College Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:21 am

aussiewing wrote:it's nothing like rugby. the 'arenas' are oval shape, some players such as the on-ballers run over 30km in a game. there are basically 1 on 1 matchups all over the ground. difficult to explain unless you watch a game, but it does however SHIT on rugby!

we have mates from vancouver that we met last year, so i think that's we're we'll be most of the time!

I see, well it sounds and looks like a cool sport. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:23 am

mweir145 wrote:
aussiewing wrote:it's nothing like rugby. the 'arenas' are oval shape, some players such as the on-ballers run over 30km in a game. there are basically 1 on 1 matchups all over the ground. difficult to explain unless you watch a game, but it does however SHIT on rugby!

I see, well it sounds and looks like a cool sport. ;-D

Agreed, and be sure to post here after the game ;-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:25 am

AFL used to have quite a following in Canada. Our first sports-only channel TSN used to have a recap show on Saturday morning followed by the broadcast of a live show. I really got into it and an Aussie buddy of mine here in Toronto plays in a league that really took off a few years ago.

One year two teams came over to play an exhibition game (think that it was Gellong and Essendon if I'm not mistaken). They played at Skydome - it was the funniest thing that I've ever seen. They came out playing full tilt in the first half - but I guess that they are not used to playing on artificial turf because they burned the skin right off and were bleeding all over the place. The second half looked like a game of soccer with both sides just kicking the ball back and forth and no tackling.

I have another Aussie friend who hates the game. He's from Sydney and apparently Aussie-rules is almost exclusively a Melbourne game. In Sydney they play rugby.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 302)
Points this season: 10

Postby aussiewing » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:11 am

Yeah it basically is a Melbourne based game. It is the number one sport in 3 of our 5 most populus states though (exception of Queensland and New South Wales where rugby is number 1). Canada has an international team that comes over here once a year to play the international competition im sure of, great that it's starting to take off! As for playing AFL on artificial turf, man that would've killed! That's basically the way it is in Australia, you're either an AFL man, a rugby man... or you hate sport.
aussiewing
College Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:44 pm

I must admit that Aussie rules football is one of the roughest sports out there. Hats-off to any brave enough to play it. ;-D
reznorsboy
General Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:47 pm

they rules ;-D

The EA Rugby game on the other hand :-t
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)